From VETMotorsports, a 501c3 working with OIF/OEF wounded combat veterans.
The dates have been set for VETMotorsports' non-clinical outreach program at Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI. The event is May 31 through June 1, 2014. We have slots for 3 wounded OIF / OEF combat veterans from the Elkhart Lake area, with 1 position open as an alternate. Making our request a total of 4 personnel.
Our web page has a 90 second video that describes out program, and you can visit it here:www.vetmotorsports.org
Here are the details:
- Participants must commit to the duration of the program.
- The participants can bring one guest or care giver.
- If a VSO representative chooses to be on hand to monitor the event we can definitely accommodate that request.
- As far as scope of injuries, we can accommodate up to a paraplegic. We have worked with PTS and TBI, as well as other physical wounds.
- Ideally the canadates should have some mechanical ability or love for motorsports.
- We are on hand to monitor the program, but do not have direct peer to peer support. If that is needed we can request it via veteran service organizations.
- VETMotorsports will provide all the needed passes, shirts, hats, gloves.
- The participants will report directly to the teams we collaborate with (their crew chief).
- Light food/snacks are provided while at the track.
- What currently is not covered is logistical support for the participants (hotel, fuel, transportation), but this may change as we head into the event. This is why we are seeking veterans local to the area.
- If you need to discuss VETMotorsports program with a veteran or VSO representative whom has worked with us, we can provide those references.
- Veterans interested in participating my email us at firstname.lastname@example.org